In response to popular demand, the FCA Group has decided to extend until 28 October the exhibition "Dietro la pubblicità" ["Behind the Adverts"], held at the Centro Storico Fiat to mark the first edition of Archivissima, the international archive festival that took place in Turin from 6 to 8 June and was sponsored by FCA Heritage.
The "Dietro la pubblicità" exhibition is housed inside the elegant Art Nouveau building at via Chiabrera 20 in Turin. The exhibition is open to the public free of charge during the opening hours of the Centro Storico Fiat, every Sunday from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m..
The exhibition "Dietro la pubblicità" offers the general public a close-up look at over 800 precious sketches made between the 1920s and 1970s, which belong to the museum's collection and are being displayed in digitised format for the first time. Reproductions and a number of original preparatory drawings by illustrators including Sironi, Romano, Codognato, Riccobaldi, Dudovich and Puppo document the techniques, stylistic devices and language that the company used to promote itself and its products throughout the 20th century.
The building in which the Centro Storico Fiat is located was built in 1907 and was the first extension of the original workshop situated in Corso Dante where Fabbrica Italiana Automobili Torino (FIAT) was established. Since 1963 it has hosted a permanent exhibition illustrating the establishment and technological, social and economic development of Fiat. In 2011 the exhibition area was expanded for celebrations organised for the 150th anniversary of Italy's unification and currently spans over 3000 square metres.
The museum illustrates the excellence of Fiat technology in all areas. Interesting exhibits include the first aviation engine from 1908, military and agricultural products, a Littorina motor coach used on Italian railways in the Thirties, large marine engines, bicycles and household appliances, which signalled Italy's emergence as a consumer society after World War II. Of course, cars are the stars of the show: historic models that trace more than a century of industrial innovation and express the beauty of modernity.
The key milestones in Fiat's proud history are presented in an enormous collection of cars, memorabilia, models, advertising posters and a huge archive. Currently, the Centro Storico documents Fiat's activities during the 20th century in various areas and includes over 5000 metres of paper documents, 300,000 technical drawings, 18,000 posters, 1300 sketches, 5000 books and magazines on automotive and industrial history, 6 million images and 200 hours of historical films.
The reconstructions of the shop floors of Fiat's most symbolic plants illustrate the evolution of manufacturing methods, from the humble hand-crafted beginnings in the first workshop in Corso Dante to the Mirafiori assembly line of the 1950s and the office of Dante Giacosa, the engineer who designed the Topolino, the 600 and the 500, vehicles that brought mass car ownership to Italy.